Re: [MV] Trannie Fluid in the geared hub.....

From: George Carey (GeCarey@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 22:49:43 PDT

Apparently you have never owned a Hmmwv. There is a way for the entire system to
be contaminated when one key part fails. There is a cooling loop in the transfer
case that is under pressure from the transmission which runs to a radiator under
the hood.
When the loop in the transfer case cracks, it saps the fluid from the
transmission. This sapping, under pressure causes the transfer case to fill to
capacity and then feed fluid through the sealed interconnecting vent system(on
fording equipped units). This is where the ATF in the extremeties comes from.
Having said that, I am looking for some who owns or has owned a military HMMWV
and experienced the same problem. There are some technical issues I need to
clarify prior to tearing into the transfer case.