YAK Was:'Electric armour' and cancer fears

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 07:08:51 PDT

My mailbox was recently graced by a missive from Cougarjack@aol.com :

> No power company that I am aware of has been able to use the earth itself
> as a circuit leg, since the earth's resistance is way too high for
> efficient transmission. The Power guys could not afford the losses that
> would be involved.

Come to Paraguay and have a look at rural MT distribution circuits:
One wire on the roadside poles, a transformer on the pole where the
customer's LT spur (2 wires) comes off, other side of the transformer being
wired to an earth copper stake in the ground.

Inefficient ? Maybe, but as the country owns one half of the two biggest
hydro dams in the world (Itaipu and Yacyreta) and uses only about 5% of the
current produced.....

You are aware now ;-3)

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

--
                      F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

              -- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati --