Re: [MV] Off Topic Posts/M715 brakes

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 06:36:03 PDT

Alrightythen, about 17 years ago I installed M715 axles in my '77 Chevy 1/2
ton truck. Along with the 2 winches, heavy bumpers, big block and iron gear
boxes the truck weighed 6000# empty. I cobbed together disc brakes on all 4
corners and installed an adjustable proportioning valve. It didn't lock up
the tires too good (disc brake advantage) but it stopped quite well. A disc
drum setup would work pretty good too if brake bias is adjusted correctly and
the master cylinder was of correct size. As a fix on Jeeps with manual
brakes we adjust the pedal to master cylinder geometry to allow more brake
effort with less pedal effort. Haven't looked at an M715 lately but its
probably feasable since the M715 has swing pedals. Its kinda like the old
pipe on the breaker bar theory.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2