Re: [MV] Cadillac Gage V-100 axle

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 20:30:24 PDT

To echo Jonathon's comments...

>I have one in the rear of my 715, as well as the front (big mistake). I
>would think that having one in both rear axles of a deuce would make turning
>harder and more power depleting and putting a Detroit in just one rear would
>be even worse as far as turning goes.

My 710M Pinzgauer has the ability to lock front and/or rear diffs so that
100% power is applied to both wheels on the axel evenly. With the front
locked up it is quite difficult to steer on a smooth surface, which is
why the default axel on cars/trucks are limited slip diffs :-) On rough
terrain this can be the same as well as being DANGEROUS because your
ability to direct the vehicle is reduced due to the wheels having far
more power at their disposal than you. They have, in effect, minds of
their own. What comes natural to normal driving might get you into
trouble with diffs locked up.

I also had a near death experience on my MULE (recounted on this list)
with its lack of limited slip diffs. I hit a low stump and the entire
vehicle went in a totally unpredicted path (specifically over a 12'
cliff). I had not time to react except to roll off as the vehicle went
over the end. If the MULE had a limited slip differential this would
almost certainly not have happened. And for MULE fantatics out there, I
am not blaming the MULE for what happened since user error (specifically
going too close to an edge) was part of the problem. But it is a fact
that its design contributed in no small way to the accident that followed.

On a final note... I use my Pinz in very uneven, narrow turn, windy, and
loose trails (the "trail" is mostly tree branches) from time to time. In
LOW and with 4 Wheel Drive engaged I have only once or twice needed to
lock the REAR diff and NEVER the front diff. And when locked, I only
needed them that way for less than a yard until I cleared over whatever
it was I needed to get through.

My point is that having even rear diffs locked up is not something that
most people will need in even most offroad situations. However, it can
get you out of a tight spot where even 4 Wheel Drive stumbles on. Or at
least get you out without hardly any effort. So before anybody goes
rushing out to slap lockers in, I think they should talk with someone who
uses them to figure out if it is worth the bother. This is not a "no
brainer" modification. It is probably right for some, not right for most.

Steve