Re: [MV] 90 Weight Oil Caution (MUTTS and Others!) and ShowAnnouncement

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 02:16:04 PDT

I posted the link from Penzoil two days ago with the technical data for
"extreme pressure" (EP) lubes. I have also been to Redlines site and
Havoline they all say GL-1 non sulfur 85-90 in gear boxes with yellow metal
parts and EP in boxes where Sulfur will not eat the AL or FE Parts.
This a well know problem just like mixing detergent and non detergent oils.
There are extreme pressure high tech lubes out there have been tested by the
military and Truck builders Here is an exerpt of the test for copper
corosion and the mil spec testing AMREP has been approved with.
Redlines specs are easy to find.
Pennzoil is my favorite they have a lube made specifically for the old style
gear boxes and it is synthetic so it has great heat transfer properties and
excellent friction properties. The gear and equipment manufactures have
settled on a give and take which equates to loss of yellow metal versus
friction and heat they will allow a certain amount of bushing and syncro
etching to gain some anti friction and heat loss capability what you have to
ask yourself is how long you want to run your equipment before the sloppy
worn out bushings will need repair or the burned up galled bearings are
whinning so loud you can't stand it any longer.
See the end for the Pennzzoil exerpt there lube bridges the gapit is EW.
Please before you make comments go read the manufactures info it is easy to
find.

Dave Ball

This is the AMREP info:

Performance Characteristics: Meets and/or Exceeds; MIL-L-2105D; API GL2-GL5;
CRC L-33 Moisture
and Corrosion Test; CRC L-37 High Torque Axle Test; CRC L-42 High Speed Axle
Test; ASTM D-892 Foam

Test; ASTM D-130 Copper Corrosion Test; Mack GO-H; John Deere J11 D; ICH
B-22; Clark MS-8; Terex

EEMS 19003; White Motors MS 0016; Ford M2 C105A; Ford M2C108C; GM Spec. No.
9985044 and No.

9985182; Chrysler MS 3636; Chrysler MS 3725. All equipment manufacturers
specifying the use of

MIL-L-2105B or MIL-L-2105C type lubricant or equivalent.

Typical Specifications: SAE 90w SAE 140w

SAE Gear Lubricant #: 90 140

Gravity API: 28 26

Flash F: 540 565

Fire F: 590 615

Pour F: -15 -5

Viscosity SUS @ 100ºC: 100 155

Viscosity Index: 105 105

ASTM D-982-58T Foam Test: No Foam No Foam

Thermal Stability: Excellent Excellent

Timken OK Load Rating: 60 60

Copper Strip Corrosion: 1b 1b

USDA Category: H2 H2

This is the pennzoil info:

PENNZOIL POWER-TRANZ EW is formulated from non-EP gear additive technology
combined with high quality

synthetic base stocks. The resulting product can be used over a wide
temperature range in heavy duty manual transmissions

requiring a fluid that is not aggressive toward copper, bronze and brass
components found in transmissions. PENNZOIL®

POWER-TRANZ® EW synthetic transmission fluid provides excellent low
temperature fluidity for extremely low

temperature start-ups and smooth shifting in cold weather operation.

Due to its synthetic nature, exceptional thermal and oxidative stability are
inherent features of PENNZOIL® POWERTRANZ

® EW. It can withstand the high operating temperatures of truck and bus
transmissions, resulting in less oil

thickening and sludge formation than occurs with most conventional mineral
oil-based products. Due to its high viscosity

index, PENNZOIL® POWER-TRANZ® EW maintains a thick protective oil film at
extremely high operating temperatures,

while still exhibiting excellent flow characteristics at low temperatures.
As a result, PENNZOIL® POWER-TRANZ® EW

provides optimum transmission protection over a wide range of operating
temperatures and conditions.