[MV] CCKW front axle rebuild, Engine oil, Band of Brothers etc

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 04:06:14 PDT

Tony,
I've been fooling around with antique cars and trucks
for over forty years and my practice has always been
to use non-detergent 30 W oil if the engine does not
have hydraulic valve lifters. Using a high detergent oil
in a motor that always had non-detergent in it will
cause major problems when the detergents break up
the accumulated sludge. I've used 50 W in well worn
engines and I had an uncle that put SAE HD 90 gear
lube in his old Studebaker. He still used five quarts
of oil on a hundred mile round trip... :)
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com