Re: [MV] 90 Weight Oil Caution (MUTTS and MANY Others!)

From: Stuart & Jane Robinson (stalwart@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 07:58:02 PDT

On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 07:35 PM, Gene Pantano wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with 90
> wt...it is plain old "operator error" that trashes a transmission. A
> bit of
> an additive will even make the 90 wt better. Anyone that says 90 wt is
> bad
> for a transmission need to see a shrink !!

It isn't the 90 weight they are arguing about! They are arguing about
90 weight with "EP" additives (extreme pressure) that were NOT
available years ago. Oils made to anything higher than GL-1
specification (GL-5 is most common today) will have the EP additives
that are VERY unfriendly to "yellow" metals. The good part is that
GL-1 oils are readily available and contain NO EP additives.

I use 140 weight GL-1 to protect the bronze alloy bushings in the
suspension of my Stalwarts but I use 90 weight GL-5 where I want the
extra protection a EP oil can provide where yellow metals are not
present.

Stuart Robinson
Alvis Scorpion CVR(T)
Fox CVR(W)