Trying to date an M-38

From: John Rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 15:17:44 PDT

I have an M38 Jeep project that I am researching. Unfortunately, no
serial number plates to determine actual manufacture date. I have
carefully sanded the hood and discovered the original hood number,
2390396, but no such luck on the bumperettes. Based on other hood
numbers, this number places the date of manufacture around April of
'51. There is however, some interesting stenciling on the tub, on the
left side just aft of the front wheel. This is what I could read from
careful sanding:
T. ?. ?RD - 385
?. C. KY
6-56
The stenciling is in 1 inch black lettering. Can anyone make sense of
this, and is this military related or not?
Also this particular M38 has a light switch with a unusual triangular
design that I haven't seen on any other Jeeps. Anyone have any idea
when this particular design was used?
Thanks.
John