Towing M35's

From: TopCat (ljh@public.xm.fj.cn)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 13:20:09 PDT

I have many miles of towing experiance with the standard Military Tow
Bar. I would routinely tow M35's from New Jersy to My shop in New York
with no problem. I was however using a Deuce to Tow a Deuce.

Hook up in the proper fashon use safty chains and go slow. The average
speed I could achive was about 35 MPH somtimes 15 or 10 if I was going
up a hill. So expect extended time in the Drivers seat!!! ;-) .

I would also use a rubber bungi cord to tie down the steering wheel much
in the same fashon as you would find the locking chain, but with a
little give.

Sharp turns are a no no, as the Duce in the rear does not want to turn
its front wheels. So plan your route.

I never had a problem.

I did once have a problem while driving home a 5 ton wrecker with my
M-890 on the tow bar when the Wrecker decided to loose its brakes just
before a toll booth on a major expressway. Once again I wasd able to
stop by using engine braking and going slow enough, after the toll I was
able to unhook the 890 travel into town by some dot 3 and refill the
empty master cylenter which resored the brakes on the wrecker, the rest
of the trip with the pick up on the tow bar was unevetfull.

Once I tried towing a big Surplus Air Compressor complete with all the
tools of destrction such as rock drills and air hammers with the M890
hahahahaha!!!! would not go!!!!! Got about out to the main gate and
turned back to the yard to the bewillderment of the gate guards!!! Went
back the next day with the Duce and took her home no problem as the Duce
is designed to tow the thing.

Good luck!!! Use you Head!!!

I'm on the side and in the Sun :-) .

Tim Conover