My first M35 fuel filter change...HELP

From: 42Ford GPW (ilovejeeps@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 05:33:06 PDT

O.K.....here we go:

Good truck, running good, owned it about 3 months ( not driven much at all
), ready to change fuel filters.

PRIMARY filter:
took it apart..YUK!..nasty filter, but nothing else in the bowl...no
positioning spring or anything. NAPA 3511 cross-referenced new filter has a
much bigger I.D. than the bowl tube diameter...how is it supposed to work ??
With no positioning spring, etc. in the bowl, how was the initial filter
even working ?? It was stuck down at the bottom of the bowl. What should I
do here..just clean up and put the NAPA 3511 in and go with it ??
Where can I get a new Primary filter bowl or the missing parts?

SECONDARY / FINAL filter:
Yuk, these need changing, too ! Everything seems in place in these two
filter bowls. Are the NAPA 3512
( with different gasket NAPA 5070 ) a good true replacement?

Heres the thing....I know the primary filter is obviously missing parts, but
can I put new 2nd and final filters in, put the primary filter back together
just so I can run the truck for just a while to move it around the
yard....then go back and get the primary fixed right?.

This is a good truck and I don't want to do anything to screw it up.

Thanks ahead to everyone who will respond!

MIke Curtis