Report on Oroville-LONG!!!!

From: J. Lee (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 09:58:50 PDT

RE: Sept., 7th, Oroville-CA., Mil Veh Show, Swap Meet, Museum, Camping
Event....

Although this MV event was not actually supposed to start until Thursday of
this week, people were showing up by early Wed. morning. By Wed. afternoon
it already exceeded last years attendance, which was disappointly light.
When I showed up yesterday and started down the gravel road to main camping
area, the first thing I noticed was a WWII Panzer in full camo colors (turns
out to be a full scale replica, excellent job too). I knew this was going
to be good! lol

As I rounded the first turn marked by an artillery piece, probably a 6", not
up to speed on artillery, a pristine HMMWV and M138 was on my left and
straight ahead of me were at least 8-9 junky old 1950s jeeps for sale! That
was the first 100 yards then there was the main row of venders and club
folks filling both sides.

Camping was absolutely free to MV'ers all others paid!

Lots of open grass area, well marked lanes, they used 50 gallon barrels
painted red, the grassy ground cover was everywhere, which sure made it nice
and full facilities close by. The paint ball area of about 5 acres was next
door, but far enough away you that you didn't hear the screaming from
casualties.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the whole deal.

First thing I bought was a huge camo net, 60 X 30 with poles and spreaders,
its now part of my camp site there. Anyway, back to the story, we drove
thru the main camp, up a hill, passed a Ferret Mk 2/3 and went left toward
the main pavilion, huge open theater where the dinner and dance will be held
tonight ( Sat. ). This high ground area overlooks the Feather River, really
scenic... weather was perfect too. I was surprised to see that only few
people had scouted out the upper sites, many sites still open. Probably a
good 75-100 sites left in the lower camping area too.... this event has lots
of room to grow and I am sure it will. The park is probably 15 acres total
and like I said, mostly grass, but some dirt roads, some river bottom trail
areas for testing your vehicles or for walks, some permanents facilities and
all nicely laid out at proper distances. Salmon fishing is going on in the
river... might want to bring a pole.

The Sidenglanz folks put in new bathrooms with showers, sinks, etc. just
this year. Really nice compared to some of our other events around here.
Lets just say, it was nice to have a hot shower that doesn't turn cold when
somebody flushes.

I'm headed back to my camp site in a few hours after watching a soccer
match. Hoping more people have showed up, but even if nobody else shows,
this was definitely a nice turn out for only the second annual event.

Not to take anything away from the other area events, which are great and
you should attend, but this one honestly is better, newer and with far more
too see locally. That part can't be stressed enough. There are lots of
really good restaurants, like the old train station, it's called, "The
Depot" and shopping is within 5 minutes, just head up Oro Dam Blvd.

The MV event is located right just off the freeway, but it is still a
descrete distance away from traffic and the setting is very rural. Given
all the amenities and easy access, I'm sure this event will evolve into
something huge. Maybe at some point we can schedule an MV tour of historic
old Oroville (a gold mining town from the 1860's) and of course up to see
the Oroville Dam which is the 3rd largest earth filled dam in the world.
Oroville has a lot of historic places to visit if you can tear yourself away
from the swap meet for an hour or two. The Judge Lott Home, Chinese Temple,
old town, the fish hatchery and more. Community has about 35,000, yep
small, but a lot of things close at hand should you forget something or need
a part. The freeway area includes nice motels, new theater, even a Wal-Mart
within 1.5 miles of the camp sites! lol

If you can bear with me a bit more about the area:

The dam, one really, really big dam, is perched just above the town, only 8
miles (as the crow flies).
Getting their is fun too. Great drive along a winding hwy. in the hills,
but only a few minutes to the dam at 35 mph. Once on top of the dam you
have an amazing view of the valley for at least 100 miles. The lake is big
too, 120 miles of shoreline, know for world class bass fishing. It would be
great to see the MV's lined up for public display on the wide mile long
roadway across the top of the dam, lake on one side, valley on the other.
Would be quite a site and would really get some positive press and public
attention. Car shows and car rallies are held up there frequently, so I'm
sure it would be ok. The backdrop scenery is really outstanding makes for
some keeper picture taking. And speaking of pics, yes I will take some and
post on the web for you to see.

Hey...heres an idea how about having a, "Big Dam Military Vehicle Show" up
there? Think I will mention it too some folks in charge. Maybe by next
year we'll have something going, who knows, but I know next year will be
much bigger when the word gets out... right now its still real new and not
many folks have figured whats going on here.

Its still not too late to attend this year, if you are anywhere close by.

Later... Jack

P.S. Find my camp site and I'll have an ice cold beer/soda waiting for
you...