Deuce injection pump problem. HALP!!

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:13:33 PDT

Cleaned and adjusted all injectors to 3000 PSI. Good spray pattern.
Checked compression (around 300 PSI on all cylinders).
Lotsa smoke out stack.
Runs very rough.
Went bad in the space of one day, gradually.
Timing off? Hydraulic head broken?

To do: crack open feed lines and verify that some cylinders not firing.
           Check pump output on each cylinder (no easy way?)
           Anything else I can try?

History: Before I cleaned the injectors, I cracked all the input lines,
one by one. Two cylinders were not firing, as noted by the lack of any
engine sound when cracked open.

Musing: Could the hydraulic head be failing to deliver the same pressure
to each cylinder, somehow? Is that something that can be taken apart and
cleaned?

Thanks, esteemed wrenches!

Jim