RE: Mutt... Spare Wheel Extender

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 01:12:46 PDT

Dear Listers....

I have a question which I can't get an answer to. (yes, one of many, I hear
you say !!)
It's this....... some of the ex-USMC A2s that I have seen have been fitted
with a spare wheel extender-bracket. This is a flat metal strap, welded onto
the existing spare wheel mount at the rear. It is a "home-made" thing, not
off of an ambulance version etc.
It looks like this bracket would lift the spare upwards a bit, and towards
the center of the rear panel. Any ideas what the purpose of this bracket was?
I don't think it was to accomodate bigger tires (the other 4 tires are 700x16
standard type). And I've never seen this bracket before.

For anyone interested, I have a photo of it.

Kind regards as always...
Ken