CCKW front axle overhaul

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 03:04:52 PDT

The job is now complete, took 25-30 hours I suppose, fairly backbreaking, as
also took out the springs, about 1/3 of the time was cleaning and painting
(POR15).
I must say it is a damm handsome axle, I used new gold zinc-plated grade8
bolts for the
dif centres.

One question, Am I correct in assuming the front prop shaft rotates all the
time?
ie in 4 or 6 wheel drive...mine does..I assume this is cause the wheels are
connected
to the splined hubs, which turn the axle shaft,crown and pinion and the prop
shaft,
and the sliding gear in the TX case is the selection method?

I have been told to have made up, or machine out replacement hubs, to save
oil seals.

I replaced all the oil seals..they were trashed, all the bearings were good,
which
was pleasant as they are very expensive, i replaced a uni and also one brake
cylinder.
One tie rod pin was mashed in the extraction, but i had a spare.

The wheels now are perpendicular as opposed to the outward lean they had
before.

The only other concern was the DS axle shaft..its centre pin was broken in 3
pieces
also the ball races were noticeably scoured, the balls were fine. I presume
this is from wear. Reassembly was easy, however, when i let it flop fully
over to one side it fell apart again..I know this is how it is dismantled
but the others did not seem to come apart like this...it was ok when in situ
as the shaft cannot flop fully as it is restrained by the steer-knuckle
housing..i did not have a spare for that side so i put it back together.
I think i will try to acquir a DS inner shaft ( I had a spare outer).

I put in the spare dif centre I had as i knew it was ok and to save
dismantling the
original...also means my spare is soaked in dif oil which keeps them nice
and rust free.

                                                        regards tony