Re: [MV] Jeep CJ2A

From: Jess Minton (pd.minton@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 14:15:08 PDT

David,
   As far as I know from reading the All American Wonder the CJ2A wasn't
designed until the end of WWII. The jeep design was top secret in 1942 and
I doubt couldnt have even been available as a civilian model, not to
mention by 1942 not even Ford, Dodge or GM were making a civilian model of
anything since all metal was war material only. I suggest you post any
engine markings, serial numbers (from the frame or plates) and other
markings on the body to let us give you a little better idea about the year
this one was made. I learned at the MVPA show in Dallas that CJ2a's were
made mostly of MB or GPW parts. I also learned from one of the assembly
line workers at the Ford plant in Dallas that GPW's were not allowed to be
driven around or even seen by others to protect it from spies. He said
that was probably later lightened up but he got called up and never went
back to work at the plant. I also know that they were stored at Fair Park
in Dallas where we had the show. I was told by people who lived around
there in the 40's that they were forbidden from entering the park and
anyone who took photos of the vehicles parked there had their camera
confiscated... it is for these reasons I sincerely doubt a civilian model
jeep could have been produced in 1942
Jess Minton
42 GPW made in Dallas :)