Re: [MV] Sand blasting unit

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 11:45:25 PDT

A Sandblaster is a very useful & important tool. To get to all the rust
from
between a jeep tub seams generally needs lots of patience time and work.
Once I have drilled out all spotwelds ...then, taken the wheelwells out,
then the saveable pieces were sandblasted.

Next, I would prime with a fantastic "Bare Metal Primer" Before assembly.
Otherwise, once the metal is cleaned, it will readily start to rust again.

BAck to Sandblasting ...It's so good, especially on "pitted" rusted metal,
whereas, grinding would remove the high spots far too
easily, leaving the metal good metal far too thin.

At first, I bought one of those 5 horsepower air compressors... they deliver
plenty of air for the Air chisel. Plenty of air for the Air wrench and Paint
spraying... but
when it came to sandblasting this unit barely makes it. I paid $100 for
mine which was a brand new unit that sold the week before for $325

I did purchased 2 extra water strainers. Large ones at $45 dollars a piece.
I put them in series. It is amazing just what water can get through Still !

If you get a sandlasting pressure unit ... My 3 cents worth is this.
Don't get the type that has the small filling hole on top

Invariably and rarely... I had moisture get in and you don/t need nuch to
cake up the media with the air volume that passing through.

There are models with the large hole in the top ..this allows you to get
your complete arm/hand into the tank for a thorough cleanout

I tried Black Beauty and it constantly had small pieces that were the
correct diameter but were far too long. Too many jammed sideways in the
nozzles.
I even used a large nozzle with the meduim Black Beauty.

This hepled but used too much air for the work I was doing.

It was these lil' bastards that caused me to go back to the medium grade or
fine gtade sand. Also, use the full breathing mask there is silica in sand
to some degree ...which can be so fine as to clog your lungs with dangerous
chards of
silica ...not good !
Regards
Aussie Rob Upstate NY near Syracuse
Lotsa jeeps

"Among others, Steve writes.
 I have a number of sandblasters and use them very rarely. I will probably