Re: [MV] brakes

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 05:54:37 PDT

All right, you two guys have made me feel bad enough. So I have a question
or two about brake parts.

I know I will have to replace some parts, so does anyone want to share with
us all where to get hoses, wheel cylinders and shoes. These are the things
that will almost certainly need replacing and I don't want to call just
anybody. I have seen allot of folks express their dissatisfaction with some
"dealers" here on the list. To be honest this is the main reason I have
been putting off doing anything with the brakes. I do plan to start pulling
the drums off one at a time soon and taking a looky.

I do appreciate all advice from everyone. Tom made it sound so simple. I
have done a few brake jobs on commercial trucks, some with air brakes and
some hydraulic. Most are simple enough, it's the weight and size of
everything that will kill you. I think we had a drum that weighted about 80
pounds once. Not sure why my back is stiff in the mornings now.

As for driving the oversized SUV, I do have a Jeep with power brakes and I
do know the difference. My M35 brakes really do suck. I weigh 225 pounds
and can pick up a large oxygen cylinder (they weigh about 150) flat footed
and place it on my shoulder. I'm not a brute but I have alittle strength in
my legs. To stop my truck I have to put ALL my butt into the brake peddle,
and then count to 10. I have driven lots of commercial trucks and this one
has the worst brakes of any. The wheels are starting to make that loud
rubbing sound when I use the brakes. I think I will find some ugly stuff
when I remove the drums. It's raining today so I might just pull it under
the shed and pull one off this afternoon.

Besides if big brother is watching this list, I have to look at them now
because to publicly acknowledge this problem and do nothing about it
constitutes "willful neglect". Lawsuit stuff, ya know.

One more thing. We have a one inch drive air gun and a set of sockets for
the lug nuts. Removing the wheels is half the work, so I guess I'm half
done.

Thanks to all you guys for the wisdom,
Joe Trapp

From: "Everette" <194cbteng@pchnet.com>

> BY NO MEANS TAKE THIS AS A FLAME TO NEW OWNERS OF BIG GREEN TRUCKS - GLAD
> SEE FELLOW/AND GIRLS JOIN THE RANKS OF REAL MILITARY VEHICLE OWNERS
>
> Tom I agree with every thing you posted in this article about reworking
> brakes on M35
> --- what I feel happens is that a fellow gets a M35 and
> (a) never had anything this big on wheels -
> (b) never had anything this old on wheels -
> (c) has driven new SUV with good brakes and thinks everything should stop
> like it did when it was new. and M35 is new to him so should stop the
same.