A possible cure for 6.2L diesel fuel system air leaks?

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 09:45:16 PDT

Like many owners of 6.2L CUCV or Humvee diesels, I keep having problems with
intermittent air leaks in the fuel stream. Although I have nearly
troubleshot-myself-in-the-foot, I keep finding more leaks. Everytime I fix
a leak, my M1009 runs much better for a month or two, then starts to idle
rough - which sends me looking for another leak (my 'baby' has high miles
and had a seriously leaking injector pump when I bought her, causing
significant dry rot on most of the hoses).

I came across a website a while ago that has a possible cure for these fuel
system air leaks, and I wanted to get some opinions on this idea. The
article, by Lee Swanger, told how he replaced his mechanical fuel pump with
an electric pump at the fuel tank to push pressurized fuel all the way to
the injector pump. Basically, the entire system is pressurized as soon as
you turn the key on. As a consequence, any small leaks would show up as
either fuel-moistened spots, or out right obvious leaks - and would be easy
to spot and repair. Has anyone tried this approach?

The article came from "The Diesel Page", and I have not seen it there
lately. As it is copyrighted, I dare not post it on my website, but if
anyone would like to see a copy of the article, I can email it to you on
request.

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens