[MV] M1009 Alternators

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 05:34:43 PDT

>>Someone said it will cost around $120 to rebuild a 1009 or 1009 alternator.
>the same componets as a "regular" alternator. The only difference is that
>the military units have ISOLATED GROUND. This means that the frame of the
>alternator has no polarity. There is a separate NEG and POS terminal on the
>rear. Any good alt shop should charge around $50 for this service. I have
>had many done and they are no big deal.

If you need to, there is nothing stopping one from using a "regular"
alternator for GEN 1.
Its NEG terminal is wired to ground via a lead to an engine bolt. A
"regular" alternator
does that internally by connecting its NEG to case ground which is also
engine ground.

GEN 2 for M1009 types, have to have the seperate NEG/POS terminals.

Just a thought,
Ted.