M35 steering spindle nuts

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 06:31:38 PDT

Good morning listers,
Some time ago, during a front axle seal replacement job, I made a kind of
scary discovery on my 6x6. The nuts that hold the steering spindle (twelve
of them on each side) were of low grade and several had their threads
stripped out, as when they were torqued against the grade 8 studs during
installation. Not only that, they, along with the other parts still had the
reddish brown primer. Needless to say those nuts were promptly replaced with
proper grade 8 ones when the whole thing was reassembled. The nuts were so
soft that they could not be torqued to the specified 45-50 ft-lb without
stripping the threads.
It is possible that the low grade nuts were mixed up with the good ones
during factory assembly or during some later overhaul and my concern is that
there may be others out there with the same problem.
If the spindle comes off so will the front wheel...

I think it would be irresponsible not to mention this just in case there are
more of these vehicles around.

My truck came from Camp LeJeune, NC and is a 1968 M49A2C (Fuel tanker).
To check your vehicle, you will have to take the wheel and the brakedrum
off. Having done that, try to torque the nuts to about 50 ft-lb. If they
don't strip, then you are in good shape. Check both sides.

Bjorn
MVPA 19212