Fw: [MV] RE : [MV] M1009 Glow Plug Circuit Question

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 16:55:32 PDT

Funny, Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads this list for more than 2 weeks.
I have written many articles on this glowplug relay problem. The original
GPR looks like a "dimmer switch". If your CUCV GPR looks like this, GET RID
OF IT NOW!! DON'T try to fix it, DON'T open it up-JUST CAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!
This relay was a problem upon manufacture and was recalled when they were
new. The military replacement looks like a Ford starter relay-a little
round silver can. If you don't have one or can't find one, go to NAPA and
get a GPR 109 relay. Looks like a round brown knob and will fit the
footprint on the firewall. Two holes for screw mounting may look like they
won't fit but they will and will fit perfectly with no modification. You
will also have to get new nuts and washers for both sets of terminals as the
old ones will not fit. (new one may be metric) This is a direct retrofit
and will always work with no future problems. They are about $17 from NAPA.
Actually, you can use any GPR that is 12 volt that will fit the footprint.
Get one and for gosh sakes, don't even think or try fixing your old relay!
Not only a waste of time but a fire hazard because of the bakelite
construction. Your CUCV nut, Julian Burke