Re: [MV] Manually rotating crankshaft on deuce? Tricks?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 05:27:27 PDT

>From: wwd@netheaven.com
>Subject: Re: [MV] Manually rotating crankshaft on deuce? Tricks?
>Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:27:05 -0400
>
>In top gear push veh foreward or back after your starter gets you close.
>
> > Is there some trick way to rotate the crankshaft on a deuce? I'm
> >trying to reinstall a hydraulic head on the injection pump and need to
> >line up timing marks, etc. Tried poking the starter and it never gets
> >close enough. The big nut on the front of the crankshaft is almost
> >totally blocked by the radiator mounting stuff. There must be a special
> >wrench for getting in there?
> > Turning the fan doesn't do it. I can back out the injectors, I
> >suppose. That would take away the compression. Tips? Jim

Jim,

I have only done this with the radiator and fan removed. The nut on the
crankshaft takes a 1-5/8 inch socket. A 20 " lever/handle gives you plenty
of leverage.
Always turn crankshaft clockwise as you are facing the engine. If you miss
the mark, always approach the timing mark in a clockwise direction to
eliminate the gear backlash.
There are three timing marks on the damper, if your engine is turbo
equipped, use the top mark, which is 20 degrees BTDC, if naturally aspirated
use the next one down (25 deg). The engine crankshaft makes two turns for
the pump to complete one cycle. There are two timing windows on the pump,
but you know that by now.

Bjorn