CCKW transfer case rebuild update

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 17:51:33 PDT

First I should clarify that it is a Chev Banjo TX case.
I replaced the worn one with a spare that is good and works fine.

I had to weld up the High/Low selector lever that meets the selector shaft
from
the case...each selector lever is different in size..I also found the Front
wheel selector shaft had perviously snapped of completely and a fabrication
made and welded on at the neck...they had made it much thicker than the
others.

I used a Dillon gas torch which allows very controlled welding of cast
sections]
including cast iron and alloys...this was a steel casting but came out well,
the casting is fairly fragile looking, and after 60 years had fractured.

I stripped down the box and found the mainshaft components had considerable
wear,
the mainshaft gear had its case hardening worn and the 32 needle rollers
were worn down
about 8 thou each, giving the impression some were missing, cause of the
gap.

The main idler gear bearing was also in need of replacement.

dismantlement was harder than outlined in the manual...it said "pull the
mainshaft
gear towards the rear and the retainer will slide out" I had to bash the
crap out of
the shaft with a hammer ( a block of very hardwood over the shaft end)

In order to undo the 2" nuts i locked the helical gears with a small batten
of softwood between the teeth. I still have to work out how I am going to
undo the 2" nut on the
idler shaft to remove the bearing as it is very tight and the shaft is out,
so it
is hard to prevent it turning ( the gears are sliding fit on the shaft)

                                                regards tony