Re: [MV] Insurance was Re: [MV] any aircraft on this list?

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 23:07:15 PDT

Paul wrote,

>No, we have to use them because the asshole who nails my car and puts me in
>the hospital again should pay for it. Else I would have to track him/her
>down and beat the money out of them, thus causing a feud, thus requiring
>more cops to shoot the people on both sides of the feud.

Exactly. And anybody who has been hit, or knows someone who has been
hit, by an idiot driver with no insurance for damage to your vehicle
knows this. You can't get blood from a stone, and you also can't get
compensation from an illegal imagrant or DWI convict driving without
insurance, not to mention a license. And while the Government might be
nice enough to put said person behind bars for a couple of weeks/months,
they aren't going to pay for repairs to your vehicle or for your medical
bills. If you are luck the driver might have to take on an IOU, but
don't count those chicks before they hatch.

Anybody who thinks driving is a "right" should be made to experience the
joy of being broadsided by a drunk or an incompetant jackass with not
even a dime to his name and no insurance. It would be interesting to see
if the strong conviction held before the accident holds up after. For
the most part, laws are not set up to protect us from ourselves but from
someone else's screwups/crimes.

Steve