Re:[MV] 24 to 12 volt chopper

From: jalberhasky@juno.com
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 07:15:05 PDT

Yes you are right about the RF energy emitted by choppers, and you are also right on the money that it can be shielded and filtered out. At first, I was going to built a regulator circuit like you described, but at the rated amps ( in one unit ) that I am shooting at it: #1 becomes very component $$$. #2. As you mentioned it wastes over 50% of the input power. #3. It would need to be fan cooled and/or heat sinked heavily. My main goal is to be able to power 12 volt lights. I about start crying when one of my headlights burns out. It only takes a few burned out bulbs to pay for a chopper. Most of the RF produced can be shielded out with a good metal enclosure so not to bother radio equipment. A regulator circuit , such as you describe can produce power so clean one could eat it. But that is not my goal. I hate the taste of electricity. LOL Jeff