Biodiesel

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 06:16:07 PDT

Good morning listers,

Biodiesel is an alternate fuel that may be perfect for our multifuel
engines.
These are some of the notes that I have collected from various internet
sites:
1) Sulphur emissions are essentially eliminated with pure biodiesel
2) Carbon Monoxide: 50% lower than emissions from diesel fuel.
3) Nitrogen Oxide (NOx): Increased by about 13%. “However, biodiesel’s lack
of sulphur allows the use of NOx control technologies used with
conventional diesel. So, biodiesel Nox emissions can be effectively
eliminated as a concern of the fuel’s use.”
4) Unburned hydrocarbons: 93% lower.
5) Particle matter: 30% lower.

The gas stations that carry biodiesel supply it as B20 or B100. B20 means
that 20% is biodiesel and 80% is regular diesel. B100 is 100% biodiesel.
The stations are still few and far apart, but the stuff can be shipped.
The nearest supplier to my neck of the woods is over 200 miles away.
(Western part of Virginia).
Amoco in Easton, MD, United Energy Distributors in Aiken, SC and Amoco in
Ida, MI are a few distributors.

The cost is about $1.89/gal for B100 and $1.29/gal for B20 last time I
checked.

Biodiesel is made from fats or oils such as soybean oil.

You can even make your own using waste oil from your local hamburger joint.
The ingredients needed are available, they are methyl alcohol and caustic
soda (sodium hydroxide, “lye”).

Biodiesel performs comparably to diesel fuel with similar cetane and BTU
content. It is registered with the EPA as a fuel and is the only alternative
fuel to have passed the Health Effects testing requirements of the Clean Air
Act.
“Results show biodiesel reduces carcinogenic air toxics by 75-90% compared
to diesel.”

Caution (the only one I have found): “Pure biodiesel will eventually devour
any natural or butyl rubber parts in the fuel system. Parts may be replaced
with resistant synthetic rubber, such as Viton.”
I checked with Hercules engine co, and they said that the system in the
deuce is safe, BUT did not have any experience with biodiesel.

The bottom line of this post is: Has any of you experimented with biodiesel?

Have a great day!
Bjorn
MVPA 19212