Re: [MV] off topic brag contest, website hits among us (was Re: [MV] M35 Multifuel Rebuild)

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 17:20:39 PDT

At 6:39 PM -0700 9/28/02, Patrick Jankowiak wrote:
>Page views? Can you explain that? Is it each time a page is viewed
>or how do they count up? I'm not in business, so the term in not
>familiar to me.

Hits are the number of files downloaded per unit of time.

A big site like CNN.com has something like 50 objects that a computer
downloads when their browser loads the cnn.com main page. Each
discreet graphic file, image, and the main whatever.html file counts
as a hit.

A page view is a measure of how many we pages are
seen/browsed/downloaded per unit time.

On a big day at CNN when our servers are under tremendous loads
(presidential election days, national disasters, etc) we pare the
page down to fewer and fewer objects so that folks going to the main
page (the first thing they see) doesn't create such a burden to the
entire farm of 300 plus servers. We'll also push more servers behind
a particular site for increased loads. All told, last time I saw one
of the totals, we're capable of something like 5 million hits per
minute. We spread that around with load balancing and image servers
that handle just images vs the traditional page server that most
small sites run.

Ryan gill

Data Center Manager @ CNN
I speak not for CNN nor they for me.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)