Re: [MV] H2 and Real Trucks... Dodge rules

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 00:18:46 PDT

Military tactical vehicles are built to fulfill a certain mission design
criteria some are narrow in scope others have multirole capability the HMMWV
or Humvee is a multirole vehicle and can do many different jobs. It is
highly respected by our Troops and loved by many civilians in its civilian
role.
If you look Back to WW2 to the 3/4 ton Dodge you will see another multirole
design (WC 52, 53, 54, 56) it was a new military design unlike the civilian
dodge trucks the 1/2 tons shared parts with and was much loved by the troops
and civilians in War and the post war as the Power Wagon.
Many trucks were based on this early design (remember the M37, M43, M56,
M701) and its design evolved with time finally becoming the Dodge military
4x4 called the M880, M886... the Dodge M880 family was also a multirole
military vehicle was it loved by the troops I think the court is still out
on that one.
Many collectors say the M37 Family of vehicles was the best designed
military vehicle Dodge built and the same collectors give many reasons most
of these reasons could be called refinements some would call them
revelations in design. Other collectors would say the only military truck
Dodge ever built worth a damn was the WW2 Dodge 3/4 ton.
The point is there are many "dumber me two designs" you are probably driving
one now in one way are another.
I think the H2 is just the next step in many the Hummer will need to go
through as a civilian vehicle after all this is just another role for a
multirole vehicle.
We have seen the Jeep take on many roles I bet someone out there was upset
when the new Jeepster came out in 1949.
As a collector I have owned Many Dodge military trucks early and late and 2
Humvees and I can say I loved everyone and I am open minded enough to say I
like the H2 regardless of what its perception is at this time it will earn
the respect it deserves doing the job it was designed for.
I also hope Dodge builds the COMBATT truck for the Military so I can buy
Cummins parts surplus in the next reiteration of the good ole multirole
Dodge Military Truck Line 1915-20??.
http://www.tacom.army.mil/tardec/nac/projects/combatt.htm

Dave