Re: [MV] H2: Not so fast... (+half track questions!)

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 11:38:16 PDT

Buck,

>they have rubber tracks so you can drive on the streets

That depends on what State you live in. According to the road regs I saw
for my state (Maine) it is a no-no to drive any tracked vehicle, padded
or not, on a public way *unless* it is for agricultural/construction
purposes. Even then there are restrictions.

> tracks are expensive but if they arnt broke you can
>weld chain around them to keep them from braking

You might want to reconsider this. I don't know squat about what this
does to a HT's suspension, but on Weasel tracks welding regular old chain
on very rarely works well. What happens is you strain the suspension and
ruin your drive sprocket. Roller chain is sometimes used, but it is
exposed to the elements and eventually this will cause problems. Also,
welding anything onto a track like this ruins its historical value, and
therefore its resale value.

Steve