Re: [MV] Heater installation instructions

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 21:33:29 PDT

Mike,
the instructions in the manual... in a word.... suck. you're about to undertake the worst mod on a
mutt. so give yourself plenty of time and take a valium if you got one. since i'm masochistic i've
done 3 of them, here's a few hints.

remove the instrument panel, it is your best access to the back of the dash panel. write down the
wire numbers as you remove them, then pull the harness toward the front so that you can get the
heater duct through the rear.
drill the holes for the hot water hoses as close as possible to the instructions so that they'll go
on the heater easier. use a hole saw SLOWLY and with lots of cutting oil or, use a draw punch. you
have to get the hoses on after you mount the heater but it's not easy.
remove the windshield and mount the defroster vents.
mount the drivers side vent and hose to the defroster vent.
take another valium.
drill and cut the hole in the cowl for the outside air vent. use a drill at the 4 corners first so
that the corners are radiused.
mount and wire the heater switch, remove the ignition switch and light switch to get some slack in
the wires. i use silicon grease on the connectors so they go together easier.
install the heater crossover tube. mine was bent in half so i used a heat gun to straighten it out
then bent the curve to the heater.
take two valium.
install the heater engaging the crossover and defroster tubes.
don't ignore the bracket under the heater or the vibration of the heater will crack the cowl.
install the hot water hoses and all the stuff that you disconnected. a little liquid detergent on
the hoses helps a lot.
GL,

Buzz