Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:40:03 PDT

In a message dated 10/8/2002 11:32:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, rmgill@mindspring.com writes:

> We need to get you together with the Re-enactors that don't like MVs
> because they're so paranoid that someone's going to get run over. You
> guys can plan the most amazingly safe and boring event that
> doesn't
> have any real guns or MVs.

Since we seem here to be moving beyond a spirited debate about live weapons at Military Vehicle events (not reenactments, shoots, gun shows, or personal weapons ownership), and instead into a discussion instead of personalities (boring, paranoid, fearful-I believe are the terms you have used to describe me---I will chose not to describe my impression of you) I will close with but a few more remarks.

I have chaired, co-chaired or coordinated the military vehicle participation in at least 50 events over the past several years. They have ranged from displays at movie theaters, reenactments and airshows, rallys and shows, and convoys. I am currently involved in planning a national convention. Attendence at these events has ranged from a few dozen, to tens of thousands. I have heard complaints ranging from weapons policy to quality of food service. However, thusfar, no one has complained that they were bored, and no one has had an injury requiring more than a band-aid.

If you truly feel that you cannot enjoy showing your vehicle without the satisfaction of knowing that at a moments notice you can drop a cartridge in your weapon and squeeze off a round, then indeed you would have been bored at any of these.

Those on the other hand, who enjoy showing or demonstrating their vehicle, either without weapons or with non-firing weapons, seem to have a great time.

Regards,
David Doyle