Weapons on MVs

From: Renactr2@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 13:04:29 PDT

David,
Just like I want to get the restoration "right" on my armour, I seek out to
buy a functioning firearm to mount in the turret. next is a propane gun or
lastly, a dummy. If I have found a live gun to mount (so I can shoot blanks
at a reenactment) I am NOT going to bugger it up on the off chance some kid
might somehow find a live .55 Boyes AT round (good luck!) or figure how to
stuff a live .303 into a Vickers Belt and cock the gun (twice!) to fire it.

The issue shouldn't be "do you have a live firearm" but "what steps have you
taken to make it safe for this public display?". Then it is up to the event
host to make the call that it is sufficient. If it isn't then tell them the
additional steps to take. Want no magazines in? want the trigger zip-tied?
That I could live with because I don't have to destroy my weapons, nor do I
have to go out and buy a second set of weapons to make the anti-gun crowd
complacent.

Frankly, I am more worried that some smoker will toss a butt under someone's
vehicle that is leaking gas, or that someone will try to open a hatch and
snip off some fingers.

My .2 cents worth.
Jim Burrill