82nd AB Units and vehicle registration numbers (was Mule bumper numbers)?

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@netfox.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 18:21:51 PDT

List,
    I spent some more time this evening scraping away at the numbers on the
mule (M274A1). The 1st set (upper left side) is definitely 82 AB. I found 3
different instances of it. The last set (right side) is definitely HQ 49. I
also found 3 sets of it.
    The intermediate command on the lower left side was a bit harder to get.
However, I found at least 2 distinct sets of what I believe to be a 508. The
only thing I'm not sure about is the letter. It could have been an "H" or
maybe an "I", but it was hardest to read. A large piece of paint was missing
in that area. Was it OK to give the letters before the number? There were
definitely no letters after the 508.
    I did a little research and found there was/is a 508th Infantry within
the 82nd. However, I also found that there were 2 brigades (1st & 2nd) for
the 508th Infantry. Wouldn't the brigade have been part of the numbers?
Also, would the HQ 49 have been correct for an Infantry unit?
    The numbers follow below. Please let me know if they make sense to any
of you. I am going to post them to one of the 82nd Airborne web sites if no
one is able to help me here. Perhaps I will get lucky and find someone who
knows.

82 AB
I- or H 508 HQ 49

    Does that look correct? How could I find out for sure, if at all.

    I also tried to find the registration number, but it was gone. How would
I be able to figure it out? I have the registration number from the data
plate. Is that used to determine the painted on number?

    Thanks for any help,
        Neil