Re: [MVlist] fuel storage

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 22:07:01 PDT

Richard Notton wrote:

> Diesel problems occur in very warm and sometimes damp climates when an algae can
> form and live in the fuel apparently ? It makes an instant filter blocking
> sludge, however the UK climate eliminates this problem. IIRC even sealing in
> containers may not be a solution to the trouble as the algae in anaerobic - it
> needs no air.

Richard

(As Richard knows, the damn diesel bug bit me)

It is not just climate. In my case it was the fact that I had a Detroit
Diesel. In this type of motor, the injectors are fed more diesel than
they can use. The surplus diesel is used to cool the injectors and is
pumped back to the fuel tank.
This gives condition (1) for the bug - warth - our climate out here
provides that by itself, but so does the engine.
Condition 2 is that the bug needs some moisture, condensation happens
in virtually all fuel containers so it is normally present.
Condition 3 is darkness, normally the case in fuel containers.

So what you get is this nasty microscopic bug that lives on the surface
of the diesel, but under the thin film of condensation floating
on the surface. This condensation can be as little as a few molecules
thick. So you won't know it is there.

It is not a problem till the bug dies, that is when you will discover
this horrible gunk through your entire fuel system. It can best be
described as like black spiderweb. It can sufficiently block fuel
filters to the point they will collapse.

If any one of the 3 conditions above are not present, neither will
the bug be. So, keep the fuel tank full to the brim or/and put in
something to kill the bug. I am not even going to get into shining
permanent light sources at the diesel!

Easiest way is to buy some "diesel conditioner" that specifically
states it kills the bug and pour in the recommended quantity and not
worry.

I have been told, but have not confirmed it (so don't blame me) that
1% methylated spirits (wood alcohol) will do the same job if added to
the diesel BUT, due to being alcohol it will dissipate over time.

I have mentioned just 1 of the 3 different types of bug that plagues
diesel.

If you want to know more. Alex McPherson (on this list) has all the
info on the whole sorry mess and would probably be happy to send you
the details. I have them, but it is Alex's effort, so I am not about
to plagiarise his work.

I believe that the people who have the most trouble with the bug are
those blokes in the USA with the big triple motor off shore racing
boats. Lots of use in the warmer weather, lots of humid air and no
use over the winter, but large fuel capacity.

Pulling a fuel tank out of an AFV and trying to slosh clean it
without being able to get behind the baffles is a right royal pain.
You can do without the exercise..................

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au