Re: [MV] Reenactor/Living Historian

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 14:21:39 PDT

Maxwell,

Your observations are right on target. I wish you & all your
shipmates, as well as all service men & women, safekeeping in the coming
months. The course of events are not looking too good for some. May
your Guardian Angel's be with you at all times & everyone serve out your
time without injuries. May "God" or Whatever they call the "Higher
Being" look over all service members during the coming hostilities.

I served 3 yrs RA during Korea, 30 yrs NJARNG, 10 yrs USAR, for 43
years of the same thing as you now see. In the 50s & early 60s there
were many more veterans in the system. After the 60s it slowly evolved
into a game for some & serious for others. Now I am very glad to be out.
   They send money every month & I spend it on toys like my 1952 M38A1
Jeep. Some wear uniforms that are incorrect for the vehicle. I wear my
dress greens for each veterans holiday event. Since I legally retired
in 1994 they still fit fine, although the size is much larger than my
early years. For shows I wear my everyday clothes & enjoy riding around
in my M38A1. It brings many terrific memories of driving an M38A1 on
duty. There is one thing about driving now that I do not remember. I
do not remember my belly rubbing the steering wheel when I drove in the
service.

My other hobby & sporting time is spent collecting Civil War Weapons,
many of which I shoot competitively between Virginia, PA & New England.
There are those amongst us that wear everything exact & some that wear
things almost right.

Nothing can ever be done to make certain individuals wear things the way
YOU OR ANYONE think they should & anyone that gets uptight about it,
should find another hobby.

This thread is endless & after several messages pro & con I hope it dies
an honorable death.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer