Re: [MV] Parts needed: MKT 75 Field kitchen ... and more

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 19:23:47 PDT

Sounds as if you got a MET (Mobile EMPTY Trailer, that is).
I really enjoyed Ronzo's story! Haven't laughed that hard since Seinfeld's
"The Bet" episode.
Read it to my wife and the part about "Leaf Peepers" hit home, since we got
a lot of them up here in the Blue Ridge Mountains this time of the year and
she was just finishing some art work using autumn leaves. Brought her closer
to the deuce, somehow.

Now for the "... and more" part: The LD-465-1 multifuel and it's variants
are great engines. They can run at full power forever. In comparison, the
Caterpillar 3126 used in FMTV 2-1/2 ton trucks are rated at 275 hp @ 2400.
It's a commercial "industrial" engine and from reading the spec it has a "C"
rating, which means that it can operate at full load limited to one hour
followed by one hour of operation at or below the continous rating. The
continous rating is about 220 hp.
As far as efficiency goes, the LDS version used in some 5-ton trucks, put
out a maximum of about 200 hp while using 85 lb fuel/hr, The Cat 3126 uses
about 96 lb/hr at full load, the difference ain't that great.

So, if you had to drive both vehicles at full power up a really really long
hill or in deep snow or mud for hours on end, I'd bet on the multifuel. The
Army had reasons to specify the engine the way they did back in the fifties.

Driving the deuce and hauling the MKT should have made you feel good about
the old multi.

There should be enough material here to start at least a couple of
arguments. I don't mind sticking my neck out from time to time, I, or we in
this, case should all learn something new from it.

Cheers,
Bjorn