More trailering tales

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 12:00:49 PDT

William's story was one for the books. As I am in the position to
investigate and report accidents such as this I could tell lots of tales
just like his....fortunately they all happened to someone else. But in
order to keep it short, and build upon what William started since his story
seems to have a little of everything in it....(I would have paid to see that
crash!) I will speak only of a very insidious little problem that escapes
many folks who trailer heavy loads around.

Having adequate braking ability is important too. Most heavier loads also
depend upon being in the correct gear, especially for downhill rides since
most braking equipment is designed with fairly level terrain in mind. In
any case, having enough brakes and being in the proper gear may save you
from something as minor as bumping the fellow ahead when he jams on his
brakes in a slow speed scenario, to being able to slow, manuever or stop
when the road ahead of you suddenly turns to feces. Sudden violent impacts
while towing heavy objects usually result in a severed hitch, extensive and
severe frame damage to the towing vehicle (often breaking the vehicle's
back) and similar damage to vehicles ahead which are struck (not to mention
potential injuries to occupants, lots of doctor bills and expensive lawsuits
later.)

I'm with William. If we haven't the proper equipment and experience behind
the wheel, we should hire the job done.

(No reenactor content...sorry.)

Regards,
TJ Smith