Re: [MV] M54 turbo identification trouble. Help, please

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 12:53:54 PDT

In a message dated 10/15/2002 2:18:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, w7ls@blarg.net writes:

> Question: I
> thought the 'T' in 'LDT' meant 'turbo'. I also thought the 'S' in 'LDS'
> meant ' Supercharged'. I've never seen a supercharger on a
> deuce or 5
> ton. Why do they use the 'S' designation?

The confusion that you have is a result of a corruption of the English language, not a change in engine design.

Properly speaking, there is no such thing a "turbocharger" (and Cummings never built diesel engines).

There are Superchargers, and there are Turbosuperchargers (and Cummins (no g) builds engines).....I suppose for ease of pronounciation, somehow the "super" commonly gets omitted from the term.

Whereas the classic "supercharger" is belt driven, the turbosupercharger is driven by a turbine, which is driven by the exhaust gasses. The advantage of the turbosupercharger is that the engine gets something for almost nothing. The belt driven supercharger requires a measurable amount of the engines developed horsepower to drive the supercharger, whereas the turbosupercharger, although it does introduce a slight power-robbing restriction in the flow of exhaust gases, the load on the engine is not as high as with the belt driven unit.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle