Re: [MV] deuce tire size/gear ratio math help needed.

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 18:00:26 PDT

Dave,

>If someone can send me the circumfrance, I can calculate the speed, or if
one of you folks is bored, you can figure it for us.

Don't know that but you really don't want to use that anyway. You would be
more accurate to use the effective diameter or effective radius.

Basic formula is:

rpm = (168 * mph * ratio ) / radius

Where:

"rpm" is engine speed in rpm
"mph" is road speed in mph
"ratio" is product of all ratios, in your case
     ratio = 0.79 * 1.0 * 6.72 = 5.309
"radius" is the distance from the ground to the center of the axle shaft.

Or if you want to solve for mph then equation is:

mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)

Does that help any?

later,

je