Re: [MV] Reenactors have no right!!! unless they were there

From: Stephen L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 17:55:35 PDT

*** Pardon my late response to this subject. I must wade in.
  Just got my computer unclogged & as a Mil-Vehicle owner & re-enactor I
figgered I better give your message a reply.

I collect and display Military Vehicles I do not wear Military Clothing
or
Insignia I am not entitled to. I display the vehicles because as tools of
war they have historical value.

**** Mil vehs are equipment just like a belt, pack uniform, boots,
rilfe, bayonet, etc.

Uniforms have the same value but to me it is best served when seen on a
mannequin.

***** Ah, key words there "to me". Checking to see out there, there is a
VERY big business in selling, & collecting equipment. Both original &
reporduction.

Axis gear

***** but, the war was fought by other sides than us.

My Dad also had heartbreak at an 8th AAF reunion in France he felt very
hurt
 at the sight of the French parading around in GI Gear especially flyers
gear

**** No doubt it would have been nice for the people that were wearing
the jackets to have some idea of the history behind the planes names.
Thats where history education comes into play. Maybe when they learned
that part of history it was in the form of some dry reading out of a
book. Remember when you were in school ? I do, some books were very
difficult to read. Maybe if the instructor had been better or a field
trip to a musuem or having a re-enactor come to the class. Hm. Just
like myself & 2 other WWII re-enactors did at my nephews school. It went
over very big & the teachers have ALL asked us back next year, principal
too.

**** I too was in the notch between Vietnam & the next "adventure".
Think it was Granada ?

Reenacting is nothing more than grown ups playing GI Joe

***** Couldn't disagree with you more.

it serves no
purpose other than to remind of us of horrible mistakes and disagreements
that went sour and needed to be solved by taking life.

****** Woops, hello. You just contradicted yourself on the previous
statement (see above)

I have been to a few reenactments they do not entertain me

******* Hmm. Your in the minority then. Public battles have been well
received by almost all of the observers at the events we have done.
Including Vets we have spoken to.

Playing war is nothing more than a Childs game it serves no man but to
make
him remember the past and the hell that plagues his memory this in itself
is
wrong

***** Hmm. Doesn't the Army continue to play war games ? On computers &
in real palces & times ? Think about it

most reenactors do not know of War only of the game of playing Soldier.

***** you seem to feel that you have the final opinion on this. You
never say I:I think this". Maybe as a non vet, YOU have the problem.
Your opinions seem to begin & end wiht your experience (or lack of it) &
that of two close relatives. Maybe next time go to a Public battle.
Look around & see how OTHER people react.

Next time you throw on that Uniform and jump in your truck think about
the
thoughts going through the peoples heads watching you drive by especially
those men and women who you are portraying does it do them justice are
you
entitled to wear the uniform or are you a child in a soldiers clothes.

***** I have found (by being told by real vets) that they love seeing
younger men in old uniforms. Takes them back to days past. Yes, there
are some sad memories, but most of them tend to remeber the good ones
more so. AND if that makes them happy................
  Steve

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.