M151A2 engine problems - resolution

From: Dave Brubaker (b52d@piace.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 07:49:52 PDT

Thank you to all of the individuals who sent me advice on this problem. I
want to share what was sent my way in case others have this problem some
time.

List of things to check:
Soft fuel line - possibly collapsing (negative)
Fuel filter - full of crap (negative)
Gas cap - not right one for system, damaged (negative, new part)
Fuel pump - not pumping to spec (negative, new part)
Carb - full of crap, mixture, accelerator pump, jet (negative all counts)
Vent line - blocked, collapsing (negative)
Ignition - coil, electronic module (Bingo!)

Resolution to my problem - Replaced coil (third one in about 14 months).
Heated up jeep by idling in garage for 45 minutes then taking out on a run.
Original problem did not manifest itself. Of course checking the coil was
the very last thing I did.
I can only hope that this is going to stay fixed. I do not feel secure
enough yet to drive to scheduled parade out of town today. I have already
broke down in a parade once (original coil failure). It is pretty
embarrassing.

I have an electronic ignition module in the distributor, I am starting to
wonder if this is in some way causing premature failure of the ignition
coils, but do not know enough about them to tell. I do have two other
distributors, one points, the other a completely different looking
electronic module.

David & Donna Brubaker
Member MVPA #18115
M-151A2