Re: [MV] [CMP] Bren Carrier/Ford maintenance challange

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 04:48:21 PDT

I can tell you what happened to my pickup -- I was on a four day trip - on
way home - pulled off interstate to get fuel - when I turned in to station
rear end locked up.

Bearing that held front of pinion had failed, let pinion ride up on top of
ring gear. Mechanic said bearing failed, let drop down on seal, gear oil
ran out, that let even more damage happen to bad bearing, and it came
further apart, freeing pinion to move. He said this probably only took 5
minutes to happen at highway speed, I was lucky that I stopped when I did,
for if it had locked at highway speed --- well you fill in this part --

By the way I was hauling 1500 pounds in pickup bed and pulling trailer with
7500 pounds on it.

Truck was high mileage - I think bearing just wore out. Because this is
common vehicle I replaced entire rear end, could have been rebuilt with new
pinion, ring gear, spider, etc --

Everette

-----
From: "J. Forster" <jfor@quik.com>

How can a differential 'freeze up' ? Do the bearings on the small, driving
gears fail?

TIA,
-John