CCKW Differential locks...also rear brake&axle O/H

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 02:58:14 PDT

Greetings,
                I am overhauling my CCKW rear brakes and have found something surprising.
When i tried to turn the wheels i could not do so until i jacked up both
sides.

With both sides jacked up on the rear-rear dif if i rotate the wheels the
other
side wheels rotate in the opposite direction. The propshaft did not rotate

On the front axle i can rotate the wheel with only one side jacked up.

On the intermediate axle i could not rotate the wheel with the other side on
the ground.
the propshaft wanted to rotate, I did not jack up the othe side.

I tested a car i know has limited-slip dif, when both sides are jacked up
the wheels
rotate in opposite directions. (This is what i have been told is proof dif
spin-limiting devices are fitted

This strongly suggests to me that both rear axles have locking (no-spin)
difs.
I have heard Detroit locks are available for GMC 2.5T axles.
I also believe the IH version of the WWII Deuce had rear dif locks standard

Is there some other explanation?

My truck has been modified for HEAVY-DUTY off-road use, so it is possible
Transfield fitted some sort of locking dif...is there an easy way to
tell?..with the dif cover off??

The other good thing i found was all my rear brake cylinders had been
sleeved
with brass, which was just as well as everything was siezed..it was very
hard
to get the drums off, cause the adjusters were not operational.

It must be a common problem..they are Delco-Remy 1.5" cylinders and the
rotating outer
adjusters rust onto the outside rim of the cylinders..I polished them with
400 wet&
dry, then a thin smear of copper anti-sieze, followed by rubber
grease..worked
like magic.

The pistons were siezed in the cylinders, but cause of the brass sleeve, a
light
hone and new rubber seals (proceeded by lots of cleaning) now like new (I
painted the
cylinders and all).

Fitting new hub seals was a pain, I had to knock out the hub bearing race
with a punch.
then the wheel did not want to go back on axle flange cause the new hub
seals were tight, even after soaking in oil.

Also all the bearings were perfect (and Japanese so i can tell they have all
been
replaced in the not-so-distant past).

                                        regards Tony

ps I saw the 2nd last episode of Band of Brothers, which featured convoys
of CCKW, DUKW, Jeep, Dodge and APC, by far the best episode for MV viewing