Re: [MV] CCKW Differential locks...also rear brake&axle O/H

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 03:54:26 PDT

If you didn't jack up the other rear axle, you cannot rotate one rear wheel
with only one
side of one axle jacked up. The back end on the CCKW, M5H6 and M35 et. al.
are in
8 wheel drive all the time in the rear. Jacking only one of the 4 rear
positions (wheels) will
NOT allow that position to turn because one position on the other rear axle
has to turn the
same amount.

This is why I tell people to put a matched set of tires on the rear and
LEAVE THEM ALONE!
The rears on my CCKW will last ~30,000 miles. The front ~4,000-5,000. If I
rotate the fronts
to the rear, I will be creating an imbalance in the diameter and cause great
strain on the power train.

My CCKW has a matched new set on the outsides and the innner ones are older
and smaller. Last
year, I was driving on a smooth highway and commented to my wife that either
something was
seriously wrong with the truck OR I had a flat on an outside tire. I could
hear the straining in the
power train. I had a flat and so it was riding on the smaller innner tire
causing binding.

Now if you have a sprag xfer I think you are SOL....

Steve AKA Dr Deuce

PS: GMC did have a 'high traction' differential set up, but it was not a
locker or posi