Water Getting Into CUCV's

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 05:52:43 PST

OK folks, I have to come out of hiding because of the wrong answers being
mentioned of this common CUCV problem that has been around for years that
plague a CUCV. Now for the reason water is getting into your CUCV's. There
are no civvy antennas on ANY CUCV unless you put one there. The first most
common water leak is the door gasket that goes around the perimeter of the
door. The roof gutter is positioned to drain into the top front of the door
opening and with a bad gasket, water will POUR into this area and down into
the dashboard and behind it. It is very easy to replace and is available
from any Chevy dealer. Make sure the beginning and the end is in the bottom
center. Also at this point you may want to replace the aluminum door sills
with new ones available at Chevrolet. Parramore Surplus used to have these
gaskets. The gaskets also "tightens" up the door and makes a more solid
body. Secondly, the most common leak is under the cowl where the wiper
transmission is located. Take off the wipers and then with a few screws you
can remove this cowl cover. (Hood must be open!) You will see where the
seamseal is in the bottom and you can use RTV or equivalency. Use a garden
hose for any other suspected leaks. Windshield gasket itself is getting to
be 20 years old and when exposed to sunlight, will shrink or crack. Check
with any local windshield shop and they can help you here-THIS IS NOT A
EXPENSIVE PROBLEM AND CAN BE CORRECTED EASILY. Unless you have experience
with windshields, don't try this the first time. Should cost around $20-40
to fix from the "right" shop. Yes, you can use RTV around the leak but sure
makes a mess in appearance and besides, now is the time to have the glass
removed and have a new gasket installed. Gaskets aren't that bad in price
either. Also the removable hardtop on the 1009's could also have a bad or
worn out seal around it. Rear tailgates also leak with bad, missing or
worn-out door gasket.

What's this guy saying "check the AM-FM radio antenna?" He saw one on a
civvy Blazer once. WRONG-WRONG-WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, How can I get my email address changed for this website? It
doesn't matter what you click on, nothing works to include the one saying
"to talk to a real person" I have to use my old email address. Your CUCV
nut, Julian Burke