Re:[MV] M35 winching

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 14:51:24 PST

John Souza....if I may...let me direct this reply to you. If I went to
the local hardware store and purchased a come-a-long rated at one
ton....it would just be a standard come-a-long with a hook on one end,
and a hook on the cable....right? If I asked for a two ton
come-a-long....what would I get? I would get one the same as the first
one with maybe one size larger cable....and it would have a little
snatch block pulley on it to double it's capacity with the bitter end
attached to the frame of the come-a-long. Now....it is my understanding
that you count all the leads (cables) running and subtract one....and
that is the mechanical advantage you have minus all the friction
involved. Do you think I have been taught wrong? I'll now put on my flak
jacket. Fred Martin, Greenfield, Ohio