different size shear pin question, M35 winch......

From: ygmir (ygmir@onemain.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:08:19 PST

Hi all,
I have what seems a different size shear pin for the winch on my deuce. It
is 5/16, or so, the standard ones are to big, and I haven't been able to
find the correct size, in actual "shear pins". I tried using aluminum rod of
the correct size, but it shears way to soon. Any ideas? Is there a certain
formula for the aluminum, or 'hardness', I would ask for? How about brass?
Any help would be appreciated, I can't use the winch much without having to
change shear pins stock constantly, and 1/4 carriage bolts ( used as an
emergency measure), didn't work much better, sheared almost as fast,
probably due to the "slop" in the fit.
Thanks,
Henry