Re: [MV] different size shear pin question, M35 winch......

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 11:43:43 PST

I should have noted that the 3/8 rod was for my M51 - 5 ton dump front 20K lb winch. I'm surprised that you have sheared a 1/4 steel carriage bolt.

Aluminum comes in all sorts of strengths. The aluminum I got from Menards was very soft stuff. I haven't sheared a pin yet, but that's probably because I
was only putting a couple thousand pounds of tension on the winch hauling out tree trunks after they have been felled. I'm really more concerned about
protecting the winch than maxing out the capacity. 20K lbs is a lot of tension.

Dave