Seacoast Surplus

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 07:19:48 PST

It is painful to read all these posts about Charlie and his problems, but
that's what this list is for, I guess, to help clear up parts delivery
problems among other things.

It sounds to me that Charlie's Seacoast Surplus operation has a lot of
business potential and that Charlie himself has become overwhelmed with
routine duties as overhead expenses are eating into his cashflow. He is
simply trying to do too many things for one man. Charlie needs an assistant,
perhaps several, to handle the many tasks of running his business. Certainly
someone to handle the customer relations!

Shipping junkyard parts could be another problem, especially if the business
was started with walk-in customers, who carried their purchases out the door
without as much as a label attached to the thing. Prices have to increase
to include wrapping and packaging. If not, you start to lose money. It also
requires more labor.

E-bay can be a lifesaver to many. But, it takes a lot of time, I have been
selling (and buying) stuff for a while on e-bay and discovered first hand
how much time it takes to get a presentable picture, posting each little
item one step at a time, answering customer queries, sending invoices,
running to the post office for packaging materials, money orders etc. It is
not unlike running a good old fashioned country store, but someone has to be
behind the counter at all times. Combining that with the other things
Charlie used to do exclusively, it is easy to conclude that the man has too
many irons in the fire, but with proper assistance I think he could do well
(based on the mil-veh posts, at least).

I think we should try to find ways to help the man instead of involving
legal roadblocks , which will cause the whole operation to come to a
grinding halt. I'm sure that we wouldn't want the man to have a heart
attack over all this. From his post, it appears that he is stressed to the
limit.
If anybody needs legal/business advise it is Charlie. He needs a partner.

>From one entrepreneur to another.

Bjorn

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.