Re: [MV] [MV]M35 winching.... an easy solution:

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 08:06:14 PST

Yep, that's right a bit over a foot long and I thought I could attach the extra lenght to fan blades to help cool off the winch itself. (;->) Yeah right.

No, actually I have a lot of stock left over, but I haven't sheared the fist pin yet.

As Gene noted, the aluminum I bought from the local Menards is dead soft and very ductile. I'm sure it would shear much quicker than a Mil spec shear pin.
This technique is not recommended if you want to max out our winch. I have a used 5/8" cable on the winch and use if for dragging trees around, etc. If I
get anywhere near 50% capacity of the winch, I want the pin to shear since it won't be overloaded due to the actual load but more likely due to rigging
problems, such as the cable getting stuck on the front bumper, etc. If I need to get serious about pulling some heavy loads I'll have to get some mil spec
shear pins and double line the winch, etc with a snatch block. But for now the Menards shear pin solution works for me and keeps me from ripping up the
winch or tearing off the bumper if I get the cable hung up.

Dave